A radio is an important piece of safety equipment on board and it is vital to understand the correct procedures. Unnecessary transmissions could block out a Mayday distress call.
Course topics include:
- the basics of radio operation
- the correct frequencies (channels) to be used
- distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- making ship to shore communication
- Digital Selective Calling (DSC) using simulators
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue (SART)
This is an online interactive course [approx. 10 hours] and it will be taught and examined using radio simulators. The exam will also include a short written test. The course will expire if there is no log in within a 12 month period.
The exam has to be conducted by an independent examiner. The exam can be booked at our centre in Largs Yacht Haven after successful completion of the online VHF course. The cost of the exam is set by RYA, at £70 payable beforehand, and is not included in the price of the VHF course.
- Largs Yacht Haven, Irvine Rd, Largs KA30 8EZ
- excellent bus and train link
- free parking available
Exam can be booked by contacting email@example.com