A radio is an important piece of safety equipment on board and it is vital to understand the correct procedures. Unnecessary transmissions could block out a Mayday distress call.
Course topics include:
- the basics of radio operation
- the correct frequencies (channels) to be used
- distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- making ship to shore communication
- Digital Selective Calling (DSC) using simulators
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue (SART)
This is online, interactive course [approx. 6 hours] and will be taught and examined using radio simulators. The exam will also include a short written test.
The exam has to be concluded with an independent examiner, it can be booked at our centre in Glasgow after succesful completion of online VHF course. Price of the exam is set by RYA at £60 an is not included in the price of the VHF course.
- Largs Yachthaven, Irvine Rd, Largs KA30 8EZ
- excellent bus and train link
- free parking available
Exam can be booked em by contacting email@example.com