The Day Skipper shorebased course sits in the RYA Syllabus as preamble to the Day Skipper practical course and will give the aspiring skipper the knowledge that is needed to navigate familiar water. The course also provides an introduction to lights to help you on your way with sailing in the dark.
The course will give you the confidence to be able to plan your passage on inshore and coastal routes, and ensure that you and your crew are safe. The course includes:
- Basics of seamanship
- Essentials of inshore navigation and pilotage
- Chartwork (plotting tidal streams, estimated positions and courses to steer)
- Electronic charts
- Position fixing
- Passage planning
- Weather forecasting and meteorology
- Tidal height calculations
- Collision regulations
- Construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- Emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,the use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts
Please note that the places available on the dates in the tables below are for classroom places only. There might be additional places on Zoom. Please enquire, if interested.
The course is fairly intensive and is completed over 40 hours with additional time for the exam. Included in the package is all course materials, including RYA Day Skipper theory course notes.
Our shorebased instructors are all qualified or retired, Yachtmaster Instructors or Cruising Instructors, who have many years of teaching experience and are great at adapting their teaching styles to the needs of the student.