A radio is an important piece of safety equipment on board and it is vital to understand the correct procedures. Unnecessary transmissions could block out a Mayday distress call.
Course topics include:
- the basics of radio operation
- the correct frequencies (channels) to be used
- distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- making ship to shore communication
- Digital Selective Calling (DSC) using simulators
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue (SART)
This is online, interactive course [approx. 6 hours] and will be taught and examined using radio simulators. The exam will also include a short written test.
The exam has to be concluded with an independent examiner, it can be booked at our centre in Glasgow after succesful completion of online VHF course. Price of the exam is set by RYA at £60 an is not included in the price of the VHF course.
- Wilson Business Park, 28 Queen Elizabeth Ave, Glasgow G52 4NQ
- 5 min. walk from Hillington train station
- 2 min. walk from bus stop
- 10 min. drive from Glasgow centre
- 4 min. drive of Hillington exit from M8
- free parking always available