The RYA Competent Crew course is the starting point for your sail training. The course is perfect for those who have completed our Introduction to Yachting course (Start Yachting), have done dinghy sailing, or are complete beginners.
The course can be completed in either five days and nights or three weekend modules on board, and will give you the skills and the confidence to crew a yacht.
In our Competent Crew course, you'll learn how to:
- Trim the sails
- Prepare the boat for harbour
- Row a dinghy
- Tie knots, and loads more!
You will live on board one of our fully coded and licenced cruising yachts with a maximum of four other crew members and the skipper. Food will be provided and the cooking will be done between the skipper and the crew. There will also be the opportunity to use the facilities in the harbours most evenings and mornings.
Aside from learning the skills to be a competent crew member, you will visit beautiful harbours on the Clyde, anchorages in tranquil spots, or even stay overnight on a mooring buoy.
What's included in the price?
- 5 nights/days on board (Sun evening to Fri early afternoon), or 1 weekend module (Fri evening to Sun mid-afternoon)
- All on-board meals and snacks
- All harbour and marina fees
- Plus, free secure parking for your car
- Oil skins can be hired at just £3 per item/day
- Sleeping bag can be hired at just £15 per period
Course starts on a Friday or Sunday evening departing from Largs Yacht Haven, Scotland.